- Tennessee is a 5.5-point favorite over Michigan in an NCAA Tournament South Region game Friday
- Michigan is looking for its fifth straight Sweet Sixteen appearance.
- Read below for the Michigan vs Tennessee odds, analysis and a betting prediction
No. 3 seed Tennessee (27-7, 21-13 ATS) is a 5.5-point favorite over Michigan in an NCAA Tournament South Region game Friday at 12:30 pm ET on CBS at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind. The Volunteers have won 12 of their last 13, 8-5 ATS.
No. 11 seed Michigan (18-14, 14-18 ATS) was one of the last at-large teams selected to the field of 68. The Wolverines have alternated wins and losses in their last nine games, advancing with a 75-63 victory over Colorado State.
Michigan vs Tennessee Odds
|Michigan Wolverines||+200||+5.5 (-110)||Over 136.5 (-110)|
|Tennessee Volunteers||-250||-5.5 (-110)||Under 136.5 (-110)|
Odds from Caesars Sportsbook on March 17. See Caesars Sportsbook promo codes.
Tennessee is a 5.5-point favorite over Michigan in an NCAA South Region game, with the total set at 136.5. Tennessee is -250 on the moneyline, which means the Volunteers have a 71.4% implied win probability. The Wolverines are +200 on the moneyline, which translates into a 33.3% implied win probability.
The Volunteers, who beat Kentucky (twice), Auburn and Arizona, is listed at +2100 in the NCAA Tournament champion odds. Arizona is +590, Kentucky is +600 and Auburn is +1600.
Wolves’ Collins Steps In, Steps Up
Michigan freshman point guard 6’1 Frankie Collins proved to be a more-than-suitable replacement for starter DeVante Jones in the first round victory over No. 6 seed Colorado State.
Collins had 14 points on 6 of 7 shooting and had six rebounds in 31 minutes, and he had seven straight in the first half to make a large early deficit more manageable. A touted recruit, he averaged 2.5 points in about nine minutes per game in the regular season.
Jones missed the game while in concussion protocol after taking an elbow in the nose and suffering concussion symptoms in practice early last week. He did not travel to Indianapolis, and his status for Saturday’s game is unknown, which obviously plays into their odds to reach the Final Four.
Senior 6’1 Jones averaged 10.7 points, 4.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists in the regular season.
Grab the 6 Best NCAA Tournament Betting Promo Codes for Round of 64
Volunteers Coast in First Round
You could make a case that Tennessee is the most underseeded team in the tournament, and the smallish but pesky Volunteers looked the part while shooting 60 percent from the floor in their 88-56 blowout of Longwood.
The Vols also shot 48.3 percent from three-point range and had five double-figure scorers, led by all-purpose guard Santiago Vescovi, who had 18 points (on six threes), seven assists and four steals.
Tennessee, which entered the tournament limiting opponents to 40.3 percent from the field, held Longwood to 38.5 percent.
Vols guards 6′ Kennedy Chandler had 13 points, five assists and four steals and 6’6 Josiah-Jordan James had 17 points and nine rebounds. All-SEC Defensive Team member 5’9 Zakai Zeigler had 10 points and six assists.
Michigan’s Mid-Game Adjustments
The 11th seeded Wolverines trailed Colorado State 28-13 and had nine turnovers in the first 15 minutes before recovering to win going away.
Coach Juwan Howard’s changing defenses kept the Rams at bay late, and the Wolverines took advantage of 7′ Hunter Dickinson’s physicality to work the ball inside. Michigan shot 60 percent in the second half, and in the game outscored Colorado State 34-16 in the paint and had a 36-25 rebounding advantage.
— NCAA March Madness (@MarchMadnessMBB) March 17, 2022
Dickinson had 21 points on 8 of 10 shooting with six rebounds and four blocked shots. He can occasionally stray to the perimeter — he was 18 for 57 on 3-point attempts this season — but attempted only one shot from distance Thursday.
The Rams made eight of their 12 three-pointers in the first half, and their 10th three put them up 44-38 in the second half before the Wolverines’ adjustments and Dickinson’s presence helped them to a 15-5 run for a lead they never lost. Eli Brooks had 16 points, seven rebounds and six assists.
Michigan vs Tennessee H2H Results
Michigan has won six of the 11 previous meetings, the last two in their only meetings in the NCAA Tournament in 2014 and 2011.
Few players will have as important a performance as Michigan’s Frankie Collins today. First start of the season, had played single-digit minutes in 13 of last 14 games, averaged 1.6 points in 6.6 minutes over that span. Went for 14 points, 6 boards, gradually grew in confidence.
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) March 17, 2022
The Wolverines beat Tennessee 73-71 but did not cover the three-point number as the No. 2 seed in the 2014 Sweet Sixteen in Indianapolis.
Michigan won and covered in a 75-45 rout of the Volunteers in the second round of the 2011 West regionals, Bruce Pearl’s final game at Tennessee. He was fired a week later for repeated NCAA violations.
Michigan vs Tennessee Prediction
The Volunteers play a pesky, pressure style and are a hard team to match up against because of their athletic activity on the defensive end. Michigan pulled away from Colorado State because, well, the Mountain West. The inconsistent Wolverines have not won and covered two straight games since mid-January, and even with Jones would be at a disadvantage in this one.
The pick: Tennessee -5.5 (-110)
Other March Madness Content
Second Round Game Previews (Saturday)
- Richmond vs Providence Odds, Lines and Spread (tip-off TBD)
First Round Game Previews (Friday)
- Loyola Chicago vs Ohio State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Jacksonville State vs Auburn Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Montana State vs Texas Tech Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Yale vs Purdue Picks and Odds (2:00 pm ET)
- Delaware vs Villanova Odds, Lines and Spread (2:45 pm ET)
- Miami vs USC Odds and Picks (3:10pm ET)
- Notre Dame vs Alabama Picks and Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Virginia Tech vs Texas Odds, Lines and Spread (4:30 pm ET)
- Chattanooga vs Illinois Odds and Picks (6:30 pm ET)
- Cal State Fullerton vs Duke Picks and Odds (7:10 pm ET)
- Iowa State vs LSU Odds, Lines and Spread (7:20 pm ET)
- Wright State vs Arizona Prediction (7:27 pm ET)
- UAB vs Houston Picks and Odds (9:20pm ET)
- Davidson vs Michigan State Odds, Lines and Spread (9:40 pm ET)
- Colgate vs Wisconsin Odds and Picks (9:50 pm ET)
- East Region Odds — Baylor Earns Top Seed, Kentucky Favored
- Midwest Region Odds See Kansas Favored Over Auburn, Iowa and Wisconsin
- South Region Odds: Arizona +110 Favorites, Tennessee & Houston Sleepers
- West Regional Odds: Gonzaga Odds-On Favorite to Reach Final Four
The post Michigan vs Tennessee Odds and Picks appeared first on Sports Betting Dime.